Pussy is for women

So, I was driving around the one-way system the other day and nearly crashed my car when I saw this Times Square-sized poster lit up like a Christmas tree -

'Pussy: The drink's pure, it's your mind that's the problem'

Oh, is it my mind that is dirty? Because I'm pretty sure the tagline is what made it into a sexual innuendo, so it automatically makes it more shocking to see 'Pussy' so boldly emblazoned. I doubt I'd have thought anything dirty if there were a picture of a cat or the suggestive name wasn't so central to the ad. It feels like a bunch of horny teenage boys made this ad, guffawing and high-fiving over the fact they got away with putting a naughty word in public and making people say it when ordering a drink.
Well, that's how it kind of started out...

Pussy founder, Jonnie Shearer, created the brand at college and says he got his inspiration for the name from Richard Branson's 'Virgin' brand and, as he was trying to launch it, all his mates thought he was an idiot. Beattie McGuinness Bungay came up with the tagline and yes, it probably has the most difficult name to advertise, but it's like they knew it would be a tough product to market so they just admitted defeat and just went down the 'sex sells' route. So, does it sell?

In 2012, half a million cans were sold every month and I'm sure sales have risen. The brand is actually doing well and is sold in Tesco and Selfridges. I'm not surprised it's been successful; there are probably many teenage boys and young men buying the drink for the novelty value - a mainly male audience. That's what you thought too, right? Well, I was a bit confused when I read this quote from Shearer -

'Around 60% of our customers are women, typically in their thirties or older. Male-dominated, aggressive, extreme sports, cliff-diving ads just won't appeal to them. And it's a really great selling point with the multiples: Pussy appeals to a customer that doesn't usually buy energy drinks. We're 100% natural, very feminine, something new.'

'60% women'? 'Very feminine'? EH?!

Sorry let's just look at the ad again -



I was actually on the verge of saying they had created a successful ad for men, but that is directed at women? I am not slating this because of any personal feminist views I may have about it, but from a normal person's point of view... is that the right way to target your main consumer? I have done a quick ask-around and all the girls say that this ad wouldn't make them want to buy the drink. So well done, you have our attention - but does it make us like you? Not particularly. Not only that, but with other tag lines on their website such as...

“Looking for Pussy? To find out which bars, venues and stores stock Pussy near you, call us on 020 7348 9870.”

...they are over-doing the whole double entendre to the point where it's getting a bit uncomfortable.

Their biggest competitor, Red Bull, has millions to spend on their ads and Pussy can't afford such 'flashy campaigns', but next time I'd like to see something with a bit more... effort?
Try harder next time.

Comments

Popular Posts

Self-promotional Charity

Disney's top hottest males

Facebook Funnies